We’ve got a Thaisty Recipe of the Month for you – Tom Yum Goong (Prawn Tom Yum).
We’ve chosen this delicious recipe as it’s something that will warm you up now it’s getting a little chilli (excuse the pun!)
In the following recipe from Thaikhun‘s across the country, there is a fair amount of spice but as always feel free to adapt to your taste. You can also change your protein to whatever your preference, chicken or tofu also work really well with this dish.
So kha, let’s get on with it, tell us how you get on!
Serves 4-6 people.
15 Shrimps or Tiger Prawns
100g of Mushrooms
600g of Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Chopped Lemongrass
1 Tbsp Chopped Galangal
3-4 Kaffir Lime Leaves
3-4 Fresh Red Chillies
5 Tbsp Fish Sauce
4 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Chilli Oil
1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander
1. Clean the shrimp and remove the black thread (the intestine) from the shrimp by cutting it down the back.
2. Slice the galangal and lemongrass into short 3cm pieces and pound it in a mortar to break out the flavours.
3. Remove the stalk from the kaffir lime leaves and tear apart.
4. Put the chicken stock in pan bring to the boil.
5. When the water is boiling add the galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and wait for it to come back to the boil
6. Add the shrimps and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Break the chillies into a mortar and pound them for a few moments to a pulp then add to the soup.
8. Add the fish sauce, lime juice and chilli oil to the soup.
9. Turn off the heat and add the coriander leaves.
We hope you enjoy.